Human Rights First is an independent advocacy and action organization that challenges the U.S. government and private companies to respect human rights and the rule of law. When they don’t, HRF steps in to demand reform, accountability and justice. Around the world, HRF works to best harness American influence to secure core freedoms.
Areas of Work
HRF runs a program on defenders. Other areas of work include: refugee protection, discrimination, crimes against humanity, law and security.
Urgent Responses Offered
HRF provides sample letters with actions that need to be taken by national authorities and addresses for individuals or organizations to take action. See the section of the website.
HRF regularly submits urgent appeals to the UN Special Rapporteur and other Rapporteurs depending on the nature of the violation. HRF also works with:
- The Inter-American Commission on Human Rights;
- EU embassies and other institutions.
- Roger N. Baldwin Medal of Liberty
- Human Rights First Human Rights Award: presented to a human rights organization or activist outside of the United States that has made a distinguished contribution to the protection and promotion of human rights.
- Martin Ennals Award for Human Rights Defenders
HRF carries out trial observation missions.
The website is available in English, with some urgent actions available in Spanish and Farsi.